There is a tone of triumphalism beyond the usual rhetoric among senior IRGC leadership, over its tactical successes in the Syrian conflict. Recently, Armed Forces General Staff HQ Deputy IRGC Maj. Gen. Gholam Ali Rashid candidly stated Iran had modeled the NDF (militia forces allied with the Syrian government) on Iran’s Basij.
Evidently, IRGC leadership is buoyed with what it regards as successful intervention in Syria, seeing for itself and allies positive implications for related conflict within the wider region.
- Iranian News Agency Removes IRGC Commander’s Comments On Iranian Forces In Syria (rferl.org)
- IRGC not involved in military affairs in Syria (en.trend.az)
- State Department: Iran Continued to Sponsor Multiple Terror Groups in 2013 (freebeacon.com)
- Iranian commander: Front line now in southern Lebanon (timesofisrael.com)
- Another IRGC member killed in Syria (en.trend.az)
- High-ranking IRGC general killed in Syria (en.trend.az)
- Iranian Strategy in Syria ( May 2, 2013) (osintjournal.wordpress.com)