Syria is a conventional (and possibly chemical) weapons proliferation nightmare that will impact the region and beyond for an extended period of time. This monitor looks at the issue from three different angles:
General conversation about weapons in syria – This is a catchall but is primarily focused on conventional weapons. It looks for terms like guns, weapons, grenade, explosives, anti-personnel, weapon sales, Russian weapons, Chinese weapons, etc.
Weapons smuggling – Weapons are moving in and around Syria at an alarming rate and this problem will only grow as the opposition to Assad’s regime drags on.
Chemical, Biological, and Missiles – This monitor looks for chatter about weapons of mass destruction, missile activity, chatter about specific Russian missiles, scuds, launches, surface to air, shoulder-launched missiles etc.
Launch the monitor here.
by John Little on 6/03/2012
- Fearful of a nuclear Iran? The real WMD nightmare is Syria (iamiranaware.wordpress.com)
- General: Syrian air defense complicates US options (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- U.S. general: Syrian air defense may be problem (cbsnews.com)
- Up in arms: Iraqis say radicals are smuggling weapons to Syrian opposition (laaska.wordpress.com)
- Dealing With Syria’s WMD (iamiranaware.wordpress.com)
- Congress to hear of military threats posed by Syria, Iran (ctv.ca)
- US closely watching Syrian chemical weapons (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Crew caught smuggling weapons to China (uwtreasures.wordpress.com)
- US ‘very closely’ watching Syrian chemical weapons (seattletimes.nwsource.com)