Posted on 2012/02/27 by Florian Flade
On Saturday a US drone fired missiles at a convoy carrying Islamist militants about 60km south of Mogadishu. Several foreign Jihadis were said to have died in the airstrike. Local residents reported four Al-Shabaab fighters became victims of the drone strike, among them a white Kenyan Jihadi named “Akram.
A member of a Jihadi Internet forum now confirms the identity of those who were killed by the US drone. According to the Internet posting two foreign Islamist and a Somalia militant became “martyrs” in the missile strike. A Moroccan national named “Abu Ibrahim” is among the dead.
“Abu Ibrahim” who was featured in a video released by Somalia militant group “Al-Shabaab” in 2011, allegedly grew up in a neighborhood of Cassablanca and first got involved with Al-Qaida during a stay on the Arabian Peninsula. Later he joined Al-Qaida in Iraq under the command of Abu Musab az-Zarqawi before returning to Morocco.
The two other foreign militants are named as “Abu Ahmad” and “Abu Bakr al-Ansari”.
If true the latest US drone strike in Somalia indicates the CIA´s ongoing will to strike high value Al-Qaida targets in the country if necessary. Several Al-Qaida commanders have been taken out by either drone attacks or US commando raids in Somalia in previous years.
- Al-Shabab: Moroccan militant killed by US drone (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Somali militant group al-Shabaab formally joins al-Qaida (guardian.co.uk)
- Somali terrorists warn of reprisals on British streets (insanityreport.wordpress.com)
- Britain reportedly joins dash for oil in Somalia (worldnews.msnbc.msn.com)
- Big rally in Somalia for al-Qaida-al-Shabab merger (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- U.S. threatens sanctions on Somali peace spoilers (vancouversun.com)
- Big Rally in Somalia for Al-Qaida-Al-Shabab Merger (abcnews.go.com)