Image via Wikipedia
By: Staff Writer
Posted: 10/31/2011 1:00 AM |
Al-Shabaab issued the threat in an audio tape allegedly made by a Somalia-American who blew himself up during an attack on an African Union base in Somalia’s capital, Mogadishu, on Saturday, killing at least 10 people.
In the tape, posted on the website Somalimemo.net, a young man identified as Abdisalan Taqabalahullaah urged Muslims to carry out attacks against non-Muslims around the world.
“My brothers and sisters, do jihad in America, do jihad in Canada, do jihad in England, anywhere in Europe, in Asia, in Africa, in China, in Australia,” it said. “Anywhere you find (unbelievers), fight them and be firm against them.”
The Canadian government declared al-Shabaab a terrorist organization last year, following reports it was attempting to radicalize and recruit young Canadians.
“For the Canadian authorities, al-Shabaab has been on the radar screen,” said Michel Juneau-Katsuya, a former senior intelligence official at the Canadian Security Intelligence Service who now heads a private corporate security company. “They are very efficient at recruiting.”
A recent CSIS report says it believes in 2009, several Canadians left for terrorist training camps in Somalia, demonstrating “the attraction for some of travelling abroad for training and becoming ensconced within groups co-ordinating and planning violent ‘jihad’ against the West.”
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition October 31, 2011 A12
- Fertile territory for Al Shabaab in chaos of Somalia (cnn.com)
- Somali groups tape calls for terrorist attacks on countries, including Canada (theglobeandmail.com)
- Somali suicide bomber from Minneapolis: “Do Jihad in America” (creepingsharia.wordpress.com)
- Will Kenya’s battle with Islamists in Somalia succeed? (cnn.com)
- Somali militant group urges jihad in Canada (ctv.ca)
- American carried out Somalia suicide bombing, Islamists claim (cnn.com)
- Somali militants call for attacks in Canada, U.S. (cbc.ca)
- What Are We Doing About Somalia? (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Somali terror group urges attacks in Canada (ctv.ca)
- American involved in Somali suicide attack, Islamists claim (telegraph.co.uk)