By IB Times Staff Reporter | March 18, 2011 8:26 AM EDT
The mastermind behind the assassination of Egyptian President Anwar Sadat in 1981, who has been released from prison since the fall of Hosni Mubarak regime, has plans to take part in post-Mubarak political future of Egypt, according to reports.
The son of a Sudanese mother and Egyptian father, Anwar El-Sadat became president in the fall of 1970 after the untimely death of Gamal Abdel Nasser. Sadat’s eleven-year reign was extremely eventful for it included a purge from the government of Nasserists, the October 1973 war with Israel, the Arab oil embargo, the 1977 bread riots and ultimately the peace treaty with Israel in 1979. That last act likely cost him his life as he was murdered two years later by assassins from his own military.
Islamic Jihad leader Abboud al-Zommor was the brain behind the killing of Sadat, who made peace with Israel and signed the Camp David peace treaty under the aegis of the United States. Al-Zommor was released last week after spending decades in Egyptian prison.
“Now, after the ouster of former president Hosni Mubarak’s government, al-Zommor plans to take part in mapping out the future of Egypt,” the Doha-based Al Jazeera has reported.
The report said prisoners who have been released after the fall of the Mubarak regime are planning to form political movements. Thousands of people had been detained, most illegally, during the regime of Mubarak who strongly opposed the right wing Islamic groups in the country.
After the regime change, hundreds of illegal detainees have been released. Al-Zommor’s ‘Jihad’ group was working for the overthrow of the secular government in the country and the establishment of an Islamic state, the report says.
Read more: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/124333/20110318/sadat-anwar-egypt-assassination-jihad-release-politics-abboud-al-zommor.htm#ixzz1H3ml8NeC
- In free Egypt, Jihad leader says time for gun is over (reuters.com)
- Brother of senior al Qaeda leader released from Egyptian prison (cnn.com)
- Egypt: Two of Sadat’s Killers Released (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- Egypt Releases Brother of Al Qaeda’s No. 2 (nytimes.com)
- Egypt rulers order 2 Sadat plotters freed (sfgate.com)
- Egypt rulers order 2 Sadat plotters freed (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Egypt to lift restrictions on political parties (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Two Sadat Assassins to be Released (israelnationalnews.com)
- The peace will hold, says Anwar Sadat’s widow (thejc.com)
- Newstalgia Reference Room – Enter Mubarak – 1981 (crooksandliars.com)
- Muslim Brotherhood Spokesman Predicts End for Mubarak Regime (unityconquer.wordpress.com)
- Mubarak v. The Brotherhood (theromangate.wordpress.com)
- Remember Egypt? (bokertov.typepad.com)
- Muslim Brotherhood: ‘We are not seeking power’ (cnn.com)